Brighton Beach is a neighborhood that cradles the southern coast of Brooklyn. Brighton Beach is bordered by Coney Island in the west, Manhattan Beach in the east, Sheepshead Bay in the north, and the Atlantic Ocean in the south.
In 1645, Brighton Beach was purchased as part of a parcel of land that included Sheepshead Bay and Sea Gate. Prior to being formally developed in the mid-nineteenth century, all of Bergen Beach was sandy and home to only a few family farms. As New York City expanded, William Engeman seized the opportunity to build a full-service resort in the area and decided to name the resort after the English seaside city of Brighton. The resort was expanded over the years to include a racecourse, pavilion, and a park. After a high-tide threatened to sink the resort, an ambitious plan successfully moved the entire structure in what was the largest building move of the nineteenth century. The successful move was a nod to the viability of Brighton Beach and in the early to mid-twentieth century, attractions and amusements in the area continued to flourish.
Brighton Beach is served by P.S. 225 and P.S. 253 and is in close proximity to a number of other elementary and intermediate schools in the greater Cony Island area. In addition, a host of other academic institutions such as a high school for coastal studies and a high school for the sciences operate in the area.
Brighton Beach attracts residents from across New York City for day trips, most especially in the summer months when beaches are open and the waterfront can be enjoyed into the late hours of the evening. The area is home to a diverse mix of immigrants and natives who enjoy the relaxing atmosphere and amenities of the neighborhood year-round.